Earthwork Collective artist Jo Serrapere (sarah-pear), a songwriter from Detroit, Michigan, started playing guitar at 23
when seeking out lessons from Delta Blues guitarist, Shari Kane. Shortly thereafter, Jo began writing her own songs while completing her college studies in clinical psychology. She now plays at music venues throughout the United States as well as maintaining a successful psychotherapy practice and raising her delightful daughter.
Whether recreating old classic songs or performing original songs in her own deeply confessional and comic styles, Jo’s music stands original while always reflecting her love of American roots music. Her eclectic writing and performance fuses elements of various modern and traditional folk music,
Delta and electric blues, roots rock, classic and alt-country, garage rock surf and swing.
Jo often performs with her partner, John Devine, where she plays drums and guitar. She also performs regularly with her bands, the Willie Dunns (John Devine, David Roof and Stuart Tucker), Stella! (Jen Sygit and Julianna Wilson) and the LaFawndas. They bring added depth and musical styling to Jo’s original songs as well as classics from such artists as Mississippi John Hurt, Wanda Jackson, Bessie Smith and Tom Waits. Jo is also the founding member of the old-time group Uncle Earl.
Visit Jo's EPK for downloadable One Sheets, Press photos, Video and more.
- Jo and WDs have performed twice on NPR’s live radio program, A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor.
- Jo's song, "Rise Up Bones"was featured on the 2018 Detroit Music Award-winning album, "Dance With the Devil" by the Theatre Bizarre Orchestra.
- Jo's music video, "In and Out of Love" by Milk Products Media was featured at the 2017 Chicago International Film Festival.
- In 2007 and 2009 Jo was featured on the Sirius Satellite Radio Program, Kick Out the Jams in NYC with Dave Marsh, rock critic, Bruce Springsteen Biographer and former editor of Rolling Stone and Creem Magazines.
- Jo and the Willie Dunns' White Room recordings were chosen to be used to promote Audio Engineering Associates (AEA) ribbon microphone line. AEA's clients include Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, Emmylou Harris, Ry Cooder, Tony Bennett, Pete Townsend, Keb Mo and more.
- Jo was selected as an official showcase artist at the 1998 North American Folk Alliance Conference in Memphis, TN. This conference is the most prestigious folk and acoustic music conference in the world. She has also showcased at the CMJ Music Conference in NYC, the NEA Extravaganza in Nashville, the LMNOP Conference in New Orleans, the Philadelphia Music Conference and at the Americana Music Association Conference in Nashville.
- Jo has represented the Folk Alliance in the Nashville Entertainment Association Extravaganza at the renown Bluebird Cafe.
- Jo won the songwriting competition at the 1999 South Florida Folk Festival for “Best Ballad” with her song Dream, My Girl.
- She won “Best Vocalist” in the acoustic music category at the Detroit Music Awards.
- Jo Serrapere has performed multiple times on the Woodsongs Old-Time Radio Hour in Lexington, KY.
- Jo and her bands have opened for national acts such as Emmylou Harris, Ralph Stanley, Guy Davis, R.L. Burnside, Bill Morrissey and Mary Gauthier.
- Jo has also performed in the past with the Lil'Darlin's Vaudeville Troupe and with the a capella group, Lorelei at the 2006 Superbowl XL and the MLB 2005 & 2006 All Star Games.